Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Involuntary Memory Object No. 1


These are images of the first involuntary memory object which is now thisclose to being finished. I plan on tidying up some of the details, but this is the gist of it. And yes, it is a toaster. I guess I should probably explain a little about the project.

In this series of small installations, I was interested in the notion that Proustian or involuntary memory (those memories that are triggered by everyday objects or smells that immediately draw up an intense experience of the past) is a way of experiencing nonlinear time, because you relive these memories, in a sense. For this series, I'm basically taking objects from my everyday, recreating them by hand, and turning them in to triggers by making them an anomaly in the setting where a viewer would happen upon them. Thus, these objects are not intended for gallery.


More to come later on the intended setting - I have to leave something as a surprise. Formal documentation of object and installation will be posted to the website by next week.



No comments:

Post a Comment